Don Phediuk
Junior
Junior
My place: Rome IT
I LIKE: all dogs

How to train my puppy to stay in the yard

Postby Don Phediuk

hello!
My puppies are about 2 months old , and we just got them a couple weeks ago.
I left one weekend to go to my friends for a party. The party lasted 2 days. When i came back , my dogs were outside of coarse in their pen. And i let them out for exercise. But both of them right away went straight to the neighbors house next door.

And they didn't come back when i called their names and whistled.

It is so frustrating because im going to have an end of the year party soon, and i have to do yard work. But i honestly cant because i have to watch my dogs. I try to train them but they just dont listen.

Their brother and sister, so they are very dominent towards eachother. I need help. I dont know

How to train my puppy to stay in the yard
Michael
My place: Sidney AU

Re: How to train my puppy to stay in the yard

Dogs Forums
A watchdog is a dog kept to guard your home, usually by sleeping where a burglar would awaken the household by falling over him.

Dogs Pictures
Smart Puppy
The Neighbors Horror
The Neighbors Horror
My place: Puppies Land

Postby Smart Puppy

First of all you should not leave your dogs alone for two days. Even if they have plenty of food and water they get bored, curious or angry. That's why they try to explore new territories and do new things like chewing stuff, hiding shoes, destroy the lawn etc. You can ask a neighbour to come and play and pet them for a while daily.

Play with them in the yard and make them run. When they get close to the fence or boundry call them back and praise them if they come. Do it many times till they get tired of being called back. You will have some serious work to do. Good luck!

Dogs Forums

I APPRECIATE www.smartdogs.info

Dogs Pictures
Dog Kuna
The Neighbors Horror
The Neighbors Horror
My place: Puppies Land

Postby Dog Kuna

You have brought your puppy just two weeks ago and he is only about 2 months old now. Still he is a very small puppy and you need to be more attentive for his comfort and care.

Dogs Forums

You know that dogs are territorial creatures. It’s natural for them to have a space they consider "theirs" and to feel comfortable remaining in that space as a default. The key is to teach the dog what that area is.

You can start the boundary training by starting indoors, and teach the dog to target a flag (a white strip of cloth on a dowel rod will work). The dog gets a treat for touching its nose to the flag. The dog goes to the flag, gets a treat, and then returns to you for its treat. Have the targeting completely fluent with as much distance as possible inside. I recommend at least a week of practice.

Then introduce more width and more. This will gradually make him go outside and stay in the yard.

Boundary training reinforces for your dog that the yard is always the best option. Over time and with practice, your dog will want exactly what you want: to stay in the yard! Believe it!

I LOVE www.smartdogs.info

Dogs Forums
Frank
My place: Dublin

Don Phediuk wrote: hello!My puppies are about 2 months old , and we just got them a couple weeks ago. I left one weekend to go to my friends for a party. ...

Whats up, Don Phediuk ! Are you serious ? Perhaps there is a solution to your problem... We find the solution, certainly.

Dogs Forums

General Dog Discussion Dog Health Problems Dog Training Tips Dog Behaviour Dog Nutrition Dog Breeds Dog Accessories