Junior
Junior
My place: Rome IT
I LIKE: all dogs

How to train my puppy to sleep in a crate

Postby Don Phediuk

hello !!
My Terrier puppy is 10 weeks old.

Am I supposed to put him in the cage and only take him out to eliminate and play with him?

I only had him for about 3 days and I put him in there to sleep and he plays with his chew toys outside his cage.

Am I doing things right? What should I do?

How to train my puppy to sleep in a crate
David
My place: Austin USA

Re: How to train my puppy to sleep in a crate

Dogs Forums
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one. Every boy who has a dog should also have a mother, so the dog can be fed regularly.

Dogs Pictures
Smart Puppy
The Neighbors Horror
The Neighbors Horror
My place: Puppies Land

Postby Smart Puppy

Try to make your dog feel that the crate is his safe and cosy place, to make him like it.

But you should not use the crate on a daily basis. Maybe when you need to transport him and when you have guests and he is aggressive. Otherwise your puppy needs freedom, he is young and he is developing a personality according the way you are treating him. You don't want to have a shy or scared dog, one that is afraid of being locked in a cage.

Just buy him a bed, or use a nice soft blanket and pick a spot in your house to put it. Give him also some toys and play with him daily. He needs affection and attention and some gentle training.

Dogs Forums

I LOVE www.smartdogs.info

Dogs Pictures
Dog Kuna
The Neighbors Horror
The Neighbors Horror
My place: Puppies Land

Postby Dog Kuna

No problem in doing the job. Puppies need to be trained to stay in the crate as this seems new to them at the beginning. The thing you need is just the training him in the best way.

Dogs Forums

Crating is based on the idea that dogs are denning animals. In the wild many canid species use a small cave or dug-out area to give birth to pups and for protection while sleeping or resting. Using a crate as a housetraining aid has two purposes. First, it makes it easier to supervise the puppy and prevents him from having complete access to the house where he is likely to get into mischief. Second, since puppies have a natural tendency not to soil their den or sleeping area.

You can make your puppy sleep in crate by training him gradually. Start by Introducing your puppy to the crate, then feeding your puppy in the crate, Conditioning your puppy to the crate for longer periods, Crating when left alone , Crating at night. This will result fir the desired thing one day.

I LIKE www.smartdogs.info

Dogs Forums
Scott
My place: Sverige

Don Phediuk wrote: hello !!My Terrier puppy is 10 weeks old. Am I supposed to put him in the cage and only take him out to eliminate and play with him? ...

Nice to meet you, Don Phediuk ! It may be as you say... Perhaps there is a solution to your problem... We will find a solution together !

Dogs Forums

General Dog Discussion Dog Health Problems Dog Training Tips Dog Behaviour Dog Nutrition Dog Breeds Dog Accessories